Muffins aren’t exactly the first thing you think of when you’re trying to come up with a healthy snack option for morning or afternoon tea. Indulging in a banana muffin may happen few and far between for some of us and many of us may have resigned ourselves to the fact that we are just never going to enjoy a delicious warm muffin ever again – at least not without the sugar crash and potential stomach upset. Most muffins are highly processed, filled with refined flour and sugar and contain ingredients such as gluten and dairy which many people find they are sensitive or intolerant to. Not these banana muffins! These muffins are filled with wholefood ingredients (so no nasties) and obtain their natural sweetness from the bananas and a little bit of maple syrup. They are also jam packed with healthy fats that will help to keep you feeling fuller for longer so they are the perfect snack option for the whole family! I have tried and tested these with many people and they have always been a hit. You might find these disappear quickly from the fridge so double the recipe to make sure you have enough to last you the week. These can be enjoyed straight from the fridge or warmed up (if you can wait that long).
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: 9 – 12 muffins
(dependent on size of muffin tray)
• 2 cups almond flour or meal
• ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
• ¾ tsp. baking soda
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
• 2 eggs
• ¼ cup pure maple syrup
• 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
• 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Mix almond meal, coconut, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a food processor.
2. Mash banana with a fork until relatively smooth.
3. Add the banana and the remainder of the ingredients into the food processor and mix through.
4. Line muffin tin with butter, oil or baking paper.
5. Scoop batter (approximately 1/4 cup) into muffin tin.
6. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes (you may need longer depending on your oven – they are ready when you can insert a skewer into the muffins and it comes out clean).